It’s always fun to love a particular horror film to the point where you find yourself delving beyond the film itself to look for more about it. I love finding out horror trivia for some of my favourite films and the REC franchise is one of my favourites.
Here’s a little bit of extra info that you might not know about the popular Spanish series!
- Director Paco Plaza, directed the first 3 films, and wrote Quarantine, which is the American version.
- Tony Moore, who illustrated The Walking Dead comic, drew a poster for REC 3 for its US promotion.
- Many of the scenes in REC 2 were used with footage from the cameras that were on the actors who played the Special Forces soldiers.
- The original was filmed chronically and there was no set script. The actors didn’t know what each day would bring with filming.
- Actress Manuela Velasco (Angela) won a Best Actress from the Goya Awards for her performance in the original.
- REC 3 Genesis was never meant to be a sequel to the first 2 movies. Rather, it was a film that would run parallel to the storyline of the other films.
- The franchise actually has a comic book entitled REC Historias Ineditas, which contains 5 stories and gives the origins of the virus.
- REC 2 was filmed in Barcelona over the course of 6 weeks.
- Although both REC films were a team effort in directing, both directors veered off on their own for the remaining films in the franchise with Paco Plaza helming REC 3 Genesis and Jaume Balaguero directing REC 4 Apocalypse.
- REC has no opening credits, while REC 4 Apocalypse has an ending credit scene.
What are some of your favorite horror trivia? Let me know @horrorevilqueen
By Evil Queen B (@horrorevilqueen)
Want to join one of the fastest-growing horror communities in the UK for FREE? Now you can. Click here to become a member of The London Horror Society